Updated: Aug 25, 2018
There's something magical about taking a cruise. Is it the open ocean? The indescribable feeling of warm sea air blowing through your hair? The endless access to world-class food, drinks and entertainment? Whatever the reason, each year millions of people around the world set their sights on the fun, adventure and luxury that cruise ships have become known to deliver.
Located on Florida's Space Coast, bustling Port Canaveral is one of the largest and busiest cruise ports in the U.S. As the home port to some of the most-innovative players in the cruise world, there's a good chance that your next cruise might depart from this vibrant east coast venue.
With so much to see and do on the Space Coast, many cruise passengers extend their vacation by a day or two in this fun-filled port city so they can settle in before their departure and bypass any last-minute travel challenges.
It's called taking a "pre-cruise," and it's a perfect way to immerse yourself into the rhythm of your vacation and ensure you're well-rested and prepared for your cruise adventure. To truly experience and get an intimate feel for the special way of life on the Space Coast during your pre-cruise, you'll need to explore the area like a local, starting with these five must-do activities:
1. Treetop Trek - Located at the Brevard Zoo, the Treetop Trek allows visitors to climb, crab walk and zipline through different animal habitats and have an up-close experience with wildlife. With three different aerial obstacle courses, this heart-racing activity provides something fun for everyone.
2. Duran Golf Club - What would a trip to Florida be without a few rounds of golf? And we're not just talking about any old kind of golf. No, we're talking a world-class course that attracts pros, beginners and everyone in between. A favorite among locals and nationally recognized players, Duran has been voted "Best Public Course" and ranked as one of the top 50 courses in the country for practice ranges.
3. Riverfront Park - Once you experience Riverfront Park in historic Cocoa Village, you'll quickly understand why this is a favorite place for locals to hang out. With public access to nearly 10 acres of prime riverfront land, you'll see plenty of people jogging, playing, relaxing and loving the sun, as good Floridians do. The park includes a playground, amphitheater, boardwalk, spacious covered pavilions and areas for fishing.
4. Ossorio Bakery & Cafe - We could write pages about how delicious the food here is, but this handful of words usually will suffice: hand-rolled pastries and homemade ice cream. Caught your interest yet? Located in historic downtown Cocoa Village, Ossorio has been providing locals with unforgettable meals and treats in a relaxed and friendly setting for the past 15 years.
5. Superb Fishing - You know how they say there are plenty of fish in the sea? Here, that's literally true. Along the Space Coast, there are something like 500 different species of fish inhabiting the local waters. From deep-sea fishing to surf casting to quietly angling along a peaceful river or lagoon, there are numerous guides and outfitters who can take you on a fishing adventure like no other.
You've spent months, maybe even years, planning your dream cruise vacation. Take an extra day or two and make it even more special by exploring the Space Coast. You deserve it.